National Nutrition Month® is an annual nutrition education and information campaign created by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. The campaign is celebrated each year during the month of March and focuses the attention on the importance of making informed food choices and developing sound eating and physical activity habits.
- Discover the benefits of a healthy eating style.
- Choose foods and drinks that are good for your health.
- Include a variety of healthful foods from all of the food groups on a regular basis.
- Select healthier options when eating away from home.
- Be mindful of portion sizes. Eat and drink the amount that’s right for you, as MyPlate encourages us to do.
- Keep it simple. Eating right doesn’t have to be complicated.
- Make food safety part of your everyday routine.
- Help to reduce food waste by considering the foods you have on hand before buying more at the store.
- Find activities that you enjoy and be physically active most days of the week.
- Consult the nutrition experts. Registered Dietitian Nutritionists can provide sound, easy-to-follow personalized nutrition advice to meet your lifestyle, preferences and health-related needs.
Looking for ways to get involved? Stay hydrated!
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics makes it easy to celebrate Nutrition Month by offering a variety of activity hand-outs and tip sheets for children and adults. They suggest trying out new healthy foods to introduce variety and tastes to your diet. One of the simplest ways to get involved is to make sure that you are being mindful of your daily water intake.
Did you know everybody needs as much as 2 to 3 quarts of water per day to be used for all major bodily functions? Getting enough water is important for your health because most of your fluid needs are met through the water and beverages you drink every day. You can also get some of your daily fluids through the foods that you eat.
Everything from nutrient absorption to regulating body temperature requires optimum hydration to keep us operating at our full potential. Chronic dehydration is very common and can be the root cause of many common health issues and complaints heard today. As the weather warms up, and the flowers start to bloom, we wanted to share 7 Benefits of Drinking Alkaline Water that can help you stay hydrated this Spring!
Enjoy Nutrition Month every March; eat well, stay hydrated, and live healthily!
“National Nutrition Month Overview.” Eat Right. Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics., www.eatright.org/food/resources/national-nutrition-month/national-nutrition-month.
“Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.” Eat Right. Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics., www.eatright.org/.
“Nutrition Month.” Days Of The Year, www.daysoftheyear.com/days/nutrition-month/.
“Nutrition | CDC.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, www.cdc.gov/nutrition/.